Saturday, March 3, 2012

Who draws the line?

Father forgive me, I'm about to defend Rush Limbaugh.  Well, NO.  I'm NOT going to defend WHAT he said, I'm going to defend his RIGHT to say it.

Just came across a petition on change.org titled The FCC: Remove Rush Limbaugh from the air!, which over 3,000 people have signed so far.  The petition's page says:
Rush Limbaugh's recent attacks on Ms. Fluke and the women of America have crossed the line. His comments surpass the "freedom of speech" we, as Americans covet. We need to tell the FCC we are no longer going to allow Rush Limbaugh into our homes to taint our minds with his evil rhetoric.

This is not a political issue. This is an issue regarding womens health, freedom of speech and defemation on charector [sic]. We need to send a message that we aren't going to put up with the blatant disrespect of the American people, all while this man gets rich off of endorsements and sponsorships.
"Crosses a line"?  Whose line?  Surpasses the "freedom of speech"?  By whose definition?

Right now it is Rush who is making the offensive statements.  But what happens when YOU are making a statement that I personally find offensive?  Do I have the right to demand you are censored simply because you crossed my line or surpassed the "freedom of speech" by my definition?  Who draws that line?

The same freedom of speech that protects you also protects Rush.  I cannot diminish Rush's rights without diminishing my own rights.  No matter how vile, ignorant, misogynistic, or just plain wrong I personally find Rush's words, I defend his right to say them.  (I also defend my right not to listen to his bile and to boycott his sponsors.)

It is that same freedom of speech that allows me to say that Rush Limbaugh is a pompous, arrogant, asinine, vapid ignoramus.  Please don't censor me.

No comments: